Thursday, February 7, 2013

CKC first page, with a Shimelle sketch

 
Don't you hate that feeling you get when a member of your family comes down with a stomach bug?  I'm not talking about the feeling of having a stomach bug, although that is incredibly unpleasant as well!

I'm talking about that feeling you have as a parent, as you wonder, is this bug going to be a 24-hour thing, or is it going to stretch out for days?  Is only one going to come down sick, or are we all going to get it, one by one like a pack of dominoes?  And you can't help but look ahead at the family's schedule, and wonder what plans might you have to change.

In my case, it is Thursday lunchtime and Maddy's home, having vomited this morning.  She's just headed back to bed with a sizzling temperature.  What's supposed to happen, is that Rob will take all the three children away for his nephew's engagement party, tomorrow afternoon, while I enjoy a blissful weekend at home.  But what's going to happen now?  Will she or one of the boys be too sick to go?  Will I be too sick to enjoy my weekend of freedom?  Or will someone get sick while they're away?  Or while they're driving?  I'm not sure which would be worst!

So between nursing, disinfecting and praying that none of the above happen, I managed to finish a page I've been working on. 

It's the first page I've made with my February Counterfeit Kit, and is based on this sketch by Shimelle:


As soon as I saw this sketch, I thought, "branding strips!".  If I can't use this type of sketch to use up some of those narrow strips of paper in my stash, I may as well chuck the lot of them!



Now, it's nothing unusual for me to add product to my pages that's not from my kit, and this time that includes cardstock, brads and . . . something I forgot to put in initially, balsa wood!


I asked Rob to buy me a sheet last time he went to the hardware shop, and I'm ecstatic about how easily it cut in my Sizzix.  I used balsa for the title letters and asterix embellishments.  I just rubbed a stamp pad over the pieces to colour them.


I've just checked on the little patient, and she's sound asleep.  I'll keep praying that all of us are well on the weekend so that they get to go to their party and I get a weekend of crafting fun.  And I hope that you all have a great weekend too!

10 comments:

  1. What a fun layout! I love how you created the title! So sorry to hear the stomach bug has hit your home. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. Hope all are well by this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that sketc and what you've created with it!! What a great way of multi=photo scrapping!
    I hope your little girl feels better really soon..its not easy watching on as a parent
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. yuck that the tummy bug hit your house too.

    gorgeous layered border on your page - wow I'll have to try that one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kudos to you for finishing your page! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great LO! I've got my fingers crossed for you... hope that you are all well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope everyone else stayed well! I adore Shimelle and this sketch. Thanks for the inspiration...I may just have to lift this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this sketch to use up branding strips! And I love the balsa wood too, it looks great! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Balsa Wood! I had never thought of cutting it! I cut pretty much everything else so I wonder why this one never occurred to me? Thanks for the great idea ... I might need more alpha dies now ... ?!?!?!?!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOOOO clever! I'm especially digging the tabs you used! Thanks for not only sharing your artistic skills, but your thoughts, too! It's always fun to read about how you came up with your ideas.

    ReplyDelete