Saturday, January 12, 2013

Scrapbook background using scrap cardstock

Last month, while I was suffering from a major creative block, I spent quite a bit of time watching Scrapbook Process videos on Youtube.

One of my "finds" has been a series called "From Scraps to Pages" from "Aurorinbag".  A series of process videos using all scraps?  Yes please!  Here's one video that managed to inspire me in my very uninspired state:

  Once I got over the fact that December was supposed to be "finishing off projects" month and decided that any creativity was better than nothing, I pulled out some cardstock scraps to see what I could come up with. 

I ended up making one white background . . .



a pink one . . .


a blue one . . .


a tan one . . .


and a multicoloured one!


And that's as far as I got.  I arranged them in one sitting, stitched them down over another sitting or two, then left them in a pile.  Finally, finally, I can show you a finished page!

But first, something else to share . . the fresh deliciousness that is this month's Scrapbook Boutique challenge!






White, yellow and green.  Yummy or what?

Before I could begin, I took a moment to add a couple of items to my hastily constructed January Counterfeit Kit: a sheet of yellow paper, some stickers and layered cardstock, all from Echo Park "For the Record 2: Documented".  Plus the white sheet of scrap cardstock background, of course.

There, now I get to say that I made this page "all from my kit!"




The photos aren't the best quality; they're from the first lot of photos I've printed from my phone, and I'm not sure if there's a better way to download them. Having said that, I kind of like the effect of the late afternoon sun streaming in from behind.


I'm totally loving finally having my Silhouette back in action, too.  I think I'll be doing that layered effect a lot more often.  What do you think?


I hope you find time to "take a moment" this weekend, whether it's to create, or take the family out for an adventure . . . enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. This is very pretty! Love the backgrounds-especially using scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That frame for your photos is awesome. Love the fresh feel of the colour scheme too. I have been watching a lot of process videos lately too - will have to check out these ones. I love the idea of using up scraps : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, any crafting is good crafting, sometimes I find it very therapeutic just to organize (clean up) my space, it kinda gets my head uncluttered too lol!
    Your LO is beautiful, I adore your dotty frame!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Scrapbook Boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your backgrounds..very creative for someone suffering "Creative Block" :o) I wish I had your type of creative block, you did some wonderful backgrounds while in the midst of it. Your creative entry for the challenge is just wonderful. I've bought a silhouette portrait and am only just starting to learn the possibilities with it but if it helps me do as wonderful creations as you do then I'll be happy. Good luck in the challenge. Helen (Lillyput Crafts)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea for backgrounds! And your fresh coloured layout is gorgeous! well done for getting creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. SUPER idea! Love how you are all ready to go now! It reminds me of Shimelle's Perfect Collection and Starting Points. Love the page you created, too! The yellow is wonderfully warming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for all the scrapbookers! Great of you to share too. Love your layout for SBB this month, the green mist looks great and you've popped some Washi in there too yeah!
    Thanks for joining in again this month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is superb - am pinning the idea as a great way to reduce the size of my scrap bags! Brilliant backgrounds - and I always love stitching on pages.
    I love the happy yellow frame on your finished page.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great use of all those scaps! love it.
    And your lo is so cheerful. that yellow frame is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea for a background Julie and love the layout you've created with it....great addition of a few select accents to match our SB Jan challenge. I hope your creativity is now back in full force:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea, a must to try. I love the pretty frame. your photos are fine it dosen't matter if they're not perfect , I like to alter mine sometimes. If your have journaling about it you won't forget what the photo is all about. x

    ReplyDelete