Sunday, September 16, 2012

Use old supplies? You must have read my mind! (Or my blog)

Challenge #1 at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge this month is "an Oldie but a goodie": pick an old item from your stash and use it on your project.  As anyone who's spent any time at this blog knows, that's pretty much my story - trying to use up the old stash (without replacing it with too much new product that's going to end up being old stash five years from now)!
I ended up ramping up the challenge a bit, choosing not one but two old products, and using them on not one but two layouts.
My first product I'd already included in my add-on kit, vellum. I bought HEAPS of vellum back in the day, so I am always excited to find ways to use it up.  Product number two was a packet of starry confetti (the type you sprinkle on tables at parties).  That was one of those impulse purchases at my local $2 shop, which has been sitting in the drawer for years untouched. (If I get inspired they also came with music notes, moons, and little teddy bears . . . )

First up, I did a page for this month's challenge at Jay Gee's nook:




I took my inspiration from the stack of green cushions, and pulled all the bits of green paper out of my kit . . .



Can you see the vellum?  It is matting the photos, giving a subtle distinction between them and the busy papers, as per this link.  I forgot to take a close-up photo showing you the little stars, but they are scattered across the page from bottom left to top right.

I also liked those pins with the bows on them, and went to this tutorial which is all over Pinterest right now, to make some for myself.  I spent a ridiculous amount of time looking around my house for paper-clips to put them on, until I decided that pins would do just fine!


Next up, I used this sketch from ScrapFriends:


 The vellum and stars are a bit easier to see on this one . . . I cut circles of vellum and sewed them to the page to create confetti pockets.

 

I had heaps of fun with the splatters and stamping on this page too!


I got to a point on this one where I wasn't quite sure if I was finished or not, so I left it overnight.  My thought process went . . .bubbles . . . round things . . . Scrapbook Boutique!
Which might seem a bit random, unless you know that their current challenge (with amazing cupcake as always) is to include buttons on your project!



Thanks again,  Scrapbook Boutique, now I feel like my page is complete!



16 comments:

  1. I am MOST impressed - just found the Counterfeit Kit Challenge & it looks REALLY fun [one day, when I have time I'll play...sigh!!!] meanwhile - you've done SOOOO well using up all that stash AND getting in 3 challenges as well!!! Buttons do add that finishing touch, I reckon, too....love your bg work - the whole LO looks such fun:):) Thanks for joining us at Scrap Friends!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA!!! I loooove how you used the vellum and the confetti!!! And, that is such a fresh trend, no one would ever guess the items were from old stash. LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your LO's are AWEsome! The spatter is perfect for the 'bubble' theme and I just love those little stars are stitched under the vellum!
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Scrapbook Boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently rediscovered vellum for toning down patterned paper - it works wonderfully. I love your confetti circles too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Completely inspired by those vellum stuffed circles - saw something similar elsewhere, too, and am determined to add this element to my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever way to use up old supplies. I love this idea of matting your photos with vellum and the stuffed circles are so fun. Thank so much for joining us at Jay Gee's Nook :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty pages-especially love the confetti in a pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such a pretty page..love the colours and the little pockets are so sweet!..thanks so much for playing along at ScrapFriends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous Julie - love those sweet vellum pockets - very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovin' the bubble created by the vellum. Who doesn't have bubble photos in their "to scrap" files?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are fabulous LO's, I love the pretty page you made for Scrapbook Boutique, thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love vellum and love confetti! Love how you've combined the two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julie, these layouts are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just love those confetti pockets! What a fun and colourful page. And a great interpretation of the sketch. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Scrap Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! So much to love with your LO! I have so much vellum which needs to be used! Love what you have done! Thank you for sharing with us at scrapbook boutique with month x

    ReplyDelete