Monday, May 28, 2012

Golden moments with Scrapbook Boutique challenge

Wow, he month has really flown by! But I wasn't going to let it end before attempting one of my favourite challenges - the monthly inspiration at Scrapbook Boutique:






How gorgeous are those rainbow cupcakes?  I don't know where they keep finding them!

The brief was to use "bold and bright" colours.  If you've been visiting with me for a while you might have heard me criticise myself for being too literal when it comes to challenges like this - but you know what, this time I thought that the rainbow really encapsulated what I wanted to say on my page, so for now at least, I have totally embraced my "literalness!"

I drew my title, "Golden moments" from the journalling, which reads, "you are all the colours of my rainbow . . . and the pot of gold at the end".   The photo is about 5 years old.  I'd hate to think what would happen if all three of them tried jumping on the lounge now!


For my "product challenge to self", I scored two points for this page.

The first point was for using a Sizzix embossing folder to add texture to the clouds.  I really love my clouds!


The second point is for the title letters, which I also created on my Sizzix using chipboard from a "chipboard mat stack".  This was why I bought the mat stacks (one black and white, the other a range of neutral colours).  They were advertised as being perfect for using in the Sizzix, and the idea of making my own chipboard letters - ONLY the EXACT letters I wanted - was very attractive.  Problem being, the first time I tried, I could NOT get the letters to cut all the way through, and it took AGES to cut them by hand.
So this weekend I finally summoned up the courage to try again, only to encounter the same problem.  This time, I decided to just cut the tiles out and colour in the background, rather than cut out the actual letters.  I'm pretty happy with the results.
Come to think of it, I think I'll give myself a bonus point for colouring the letters in with my hardly-used Inktense pencils, which only barely missed out on the short-list for the month.

5 comments:

  1. I love that even your blog background fits our bright and bold theme this month!
    Good to see you were able to overcome/adapt/improvise with the sizzix problems!
    Thanks for taking the Bright and Bold challenge at Scrapbook Boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just too much fun Julie! I LOVE how you have used those fab bright colours and the sentiment is perfect!
    Thanks for sharing with us at Scrapbook Boutique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your 'literalness' Julie....it all works together so well. Great job at the SB challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous job again this month Julie! Love the circles on this layout and journaling around the outer edge is my favourite! Thanks for joining in with us at Scrapbook Boutique this month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that dress of Maddy's. It's almost all worn out now though. It goes really well with the boys' uniforms too!

    ReplyDelete