Friday, March 9, 2012

Hitching a ride with Shimelle

If you've been reading for a while, then you'll know I'm a big fan of Shimelle Laine over at 2Peas. So you'll understand that I was absolutely ecstatic to discover That I had won a place in her new workshop, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking".

Chapter one is about "choosing pretty paper", with the occasional Douglas Adams reference thrown in for fun.  My fave so far: "white space is big.  You won't believe how vastly hugely mind-bogglingly big it is"

Our first challenge was to take a photo of our supplies on our desk before starting our next page,  then come back later and post the finished product.  Here's my photo:


One thing I have learnt more so far, is that most of those who have posted before me had pulled out way more supplies than me, something that probably shouldn't surprise me, and might not surprise you either - what would the photo of the supplies for your next layout look like?

The sketch you can see in the photo is the March challenge from Scrapbook Supplies Online, which I am entering this page into.

For the first time, I decided to try planning out my layout using my Silhouette Studio software, as a way of making sure I cut all my bits out at the right size.  I started with a big 12" square, and a rectangle the size of my photo mat, and went from there.


As I only have an SD and not a cameo, my cutting mat is not 12", so I just had to kind of ignore the cutting mat on the screen for the time being.  Once I was happy, I just dragged everything out of the way and brought back what I needed to cut.  I ended up cutting the doily twice, once in the PP and once in the cardstock, figuring whichever one I didn't use would probably end up on a card or something.


The story behind the page: When my sister got married, she had the boys as pageboys (I did some pages for their albums which you can see here) but Maddy, at just 20 months old, was a bit too young to be a flower girl!  For some reason, she didn't want to put off her wedding for a couple of years so Maddy could be flower girl though!  LOL
My sister is an amazing seamstress, (come to think of it, she probably wouldn't mind me linking you to her here) and not only did she make her own wedding dress and the boys's outfits, but she made the adorable dress that Maddy wore that day.  I remember being overtired and bursting into tears when I first saw it! (In a good way!)






Thanks for reading, I'll probably see you around the galaxy somewhere . . .

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous LO! What a fab idea to photograph the 'pre' supplies.... I know that mine would probably be totally different to what I actually finished up using.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your layout! I'm also hitching a ride with Shimelle, but it's been along time since I've read the book so I've missed some of the inside jokes- guess that means I should read it again! (after scrapping some more pages, that is!)

    see you around the galaxy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete